By PutoPinoy on Thursday, June 07, 2007 At Thursday, June 07, 2007
- 2 cups shredded buko or young coconut
- 1/4 cup buko juice
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- measuring cups and spoons
- wooden spoon
- 2 knives or pastry blended saucepan
- rolling pin
- round pan
- Make the pie crust. In a bowl, mix the flour and salt. Cut the shortening with 2 knives or with a pastry blender until texture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 1 tbsp of cold water to a portion of the flour mixture. Push to one side. Sprinkle another tablespoon of water to another dry portion. Push to one side.
- Repeat until all flour mixture has been sprinkled with water. Make certain that you don't add more than a total of 4 tbsp. water.
- Sprinkle flour on a flour board and rolling pin. Place half of the flour mixture on the flour board and shape into a ball. Cover the mixture with plastic sheet.
- Roll the dough from center to edges, releasing the pressure near the edge to keep the thickness of the dough even.
- Roll in all directions to maintain a circular shape. Transfer the dough to a pie plate.
- Fit the dough snugly on the pan. Fold excess crust against the edge of the pie plate.
- Prick liberally with the tines of the fork. Bake at 300°F to 5 minutes. Roll remaining flour mixture for the top crust following the same procedure above. Set aside.
- Make the filling. In a saucepan, place shredded buko, buko juice, evaporated milk, cornstarch, sugar, egg yolk and butter.
- Cook in low heat until thick.
- Pour the hot filling over the baked crust. Put the remaining dough prepared earlier on top of the filling. Tuck the edge of the top crust or dough under the edge of the bottom crust.
- If desired, the edges of the pie may be crimped with tines of a fork or tip of a teaspoon. Prick top crust with a fork to allow the steam to escape while baking.
- Bake at 425°F for 20-35 minutes. Brush with milk during last 5 minutes of cooking.